American Camp Association
What does accreditation mean?
American Camp Association collaborates with experts from the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Red Cross, and other youth-serving agencies to assure that current practices at Pleasant Ridge Camp and Retreat Center reflect the most up-to-date, research-based standards in camp operation.
Every three years, an outside team of trained professionals observe the camp in session to verify compliance with applicable standards. The ACA has developed up to 300 standards that cover the various aspects of camp operations in ten specific areas.
- Site/Food Service: Fire protection, maintenance, sleeping areas, bathing/toilet facilities, food service areas and practices
- Transportation: Driver and vehicle requirements, traffic control, transportation safety
- Health Care: Staff and facility requirements, medication management, required health information and record keeping
- Management: Safety and security regulations, staff emergency training, crisis communications, insurance, planning
- Staffing: Staff qualifications, training, ratios, supervision and behavior management guidelines
- Program: Goals for camper development, orientation and safety policies for general and specialized programs, including aquatics, challenge courses, trips and horseback riding
Interested in more information on the American Camping Association? Check out www.ACAcamps.org or call 1-800-428-CAMP.